2.19.2008

What a "Novel" Idea


So I know I said I was going to review a new album 2 weeks ago, but I have been pretty busy working on some new stuff. The review is on it's way, but I wanted to post so that you at least had someting new to read from me. Anyways, for those of you who know me really well, you know that I don't necessarily like reading. In fact, I don't like reading at all! The weird thing is that I have purchased a few books on worship lately that have really attracted me to reading. With that in mind, I got a gift card to Borders, and bought a few books on ministry and leadership. I sat here at my desk and read through numerous reviews and book descriptions for the last few hours and finally decided on four. I would definitely check them out. I hope to be able to review them along with a book I am reading currently.

While in the Bay Area a few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of staying with a great family during my weekend trip. One of the people in the family is an author of Christian fiction novels. He had his publisher send me an advance unedited copy of his new book coming out this summer. To my amazement I have not been able to put this book down. I'm a huge fan of John Grisham books (or stories I should say as I would rather watch the movie than read the book) and it is along those lines. Check back soon for that review as well.

Now for the new books that I just ordered from Borders.com:

"The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical" by Shane Claiborne:
A few of my close friends have been reading this book and have urged me to get it and read it. So this will be the first one I read out of the four.

"The Gospel According to Starbucks: Living with a Grande Passion" by Leonard Sweet:
This is the one I am most excited about! It talks about how Starbucks thinks about it's business and how they have values that they incorporate into their daily "experience" that churches should learn from. Being an ex-Starbucks employee I know about most of these and can't wait to see how to incorporate that into our corporate church setting.

"The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church" by Alan Hirsch
This book talks about the early church of Jesus' day and how we can adopt some of the methods of the early church to share the gospel with those who have either fallen away from the church or for those who have never been to church. I suppose it's kind of a bare bones approach to evangelism.

"Summoned to Lead" by Leonard Sweet
A retelling of the Ernest Shackleton story to showcase the fine arts of leadership that emerged from his failed expedition I don't really know who Ernest Shackleton is, but I'm sure you can Google him). The author urges people to re-vision their leadership and look at their plan from a different angle. From the reviews I read it rethinks your normal "leadership" book and put things into a new outside the box perspective where "leaders don't see a vision they hear one." I'm also very excited about this particular book.

If any of you have read any of these books and would like to comment on them, I would love to hear about what you thought about the books and what you gained from them. I promise I will get another album review up by the end of the week, even if it kills me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey my name is D.O. and I recently posted a comment on your post (see above) telling you about Another World is Possible. Well I've just got one more thing I wanted to tell you about and then I'll leave you alone. The folks who made the AWIP DVD's are making a feature-length documentary called "The Ordinary Radicals." The film will address many of the negative stereotypes that are affiliated with present-day Christianity, and tell the stories of ordinary folks who are disproving these generalizations. People doing pretty amazing things, motivated by their faith. I think you should check it out. Interviews include folks like Shane Claiborne, Rob Bell, Brian McLaren, Ron Sider, Becky Garrison, and a whole host of others. If you'd like to learn more or pre-order the DVD, check out the website at www.theordinaryradicals.com.


Oh, and realize that this has nothing to do with your post, but I couldn't find a "contact" link anywhere to email you. Hope you don't mind.

petal50 said...

Hey Lauren! Remember Kathy from IFC. I wanted to touch base with you and see that you are still reading great books and recommending good music. Are you still performing yourself? Please email me at rmcdaniel20@comcast.net. I would like to talk with you.